Tomb of Khalid Waleed, Kabirwala, Khanewal

Location: 

Category: 
Archaeological Site
Protected Under: 
Antiquities Act, 1975

The tomb of Khalid Walid, Mauza Khatti Chor, Tehsil Kabirwala, and District Khanewal is an impressive Islamic Architecture, which was built by the Ali bin Karmakh, a powerful Governor of Multan (1175-1186 A.D.) According to local traditions the Saint is said to have come to Multan with armies of Sultan Mehmood Ghaznavi and died here. The tomb occupies the center of fortified brick structure with attached round tapering towers. It is considered to the oldest mosque in the northern areas of the Sub-Continent. The mostly important feature of the monument is its Mehrab in its western wall. Its border and inside portions bear Qur’anic verses in Kufic inscriptions worked in cut brick technique.

Present Condition.
The monument under on-going scheme of conservation and its allocation for the currant financial year is 15.548 millions. Work order has already been issued to the successful contractor.

Decorative Features.

The mosque was decorated with cut dressed brick. The most important part of the tomb is its Mehrab, created as an elaborate arched recess in the center of the outer wall of the western gallery. The Mehrab is sunk deep into the thickness of the wall and the back solid projection, in the shape of a half dome erected after perfect mathematical calculations used by Ghaznavid and Seljuq architect-masons.

The entire facing of the Mehrab arch and major parts of its interior have been faced with cut-brick panels of different sizes and shapes; a double panel running on the sides and stop (now missing) are filled with Quranic verses devised in floriated Kufic characters within flat borders.  Within this double frame, which is slightly recessed are square shaped  pillarottes flanking and supporting the main arch, whose shafts are faced with Quranic verses in cut bricks.