At about 11 miles North-West of Jhelum and 4 miles south of Dina Railway Station. is situated Rohtas Fort which was constructed by Sher Shah Suri in 1542 A.D.
The plan of the fort is very irregular and probably the biggest in the Indo-Pakistan sub-continent. The fort has been divided into two main zones; the north-west quadrant, separated from the rest fort by an inner wall. It is called Andarkot and was probably reserved for the accommodation of the high officials. The extent of the perimeter, including the subsidiary fortification dividing the fort into two parts, is about 1 `1/2 miles. It contains 68 semicircular bastions and 12 gatways. The inner citadeal or ‘Andarkot’ has three of the four intact structures of fort; the so called Raja Man Singh Heveli, the Shahi Masjid and one of the two Baolis inside the fort.
The fortification wall with its gateways is the most impressive feature of the fort. The wall reinforced with heavy semi circular bastions built with locally available sand stone laid in lime mortar mixed with bajri. The wall is not one compact mass but the interior of the wall is loose sand stone and mortar sand by the dressed outer and inner face in lime mortar mixed with bajri. The top most part of the wall comprises a line of battlements with marlons from 8’ – 4” to 11’ high and 3’ – 8” thick. The marlons are provided with machicolation.