Derawar Fort is a large square fortress in Bahawalpur, Punjab, Pakistan. The forty bastions of Derawar are visible for many miles in Cholistan Desert. The walls have a circumference of 1500 metres and stand up to thirty metres high.
The fort was built by Hindu Rajput, Bhati of Jaisalmer. It remained in the hands of the Rajput Bhati royal family of Jaisalmer until captured by the Nawabs of Bahawalpur in 1733. In 1747, the fort slipped from the hands of the Abbasis owing to Bahawal Khan’s preoccupations at Shikarpur. Nawab Mubarak Khan took the stronghold back in 1804. The historic Derawar Fort, enormous and impressive structure in the heart of Cholistan desert,
Derawar Fort (Qila Derawar) is in good condition, its walls are intact. The tombs of the Amirs of Bahawalpur, decorated with attractive blue glazed tiles contrasting with the ochre landscape of the Fort. Some of the cannons which were used times ago by the Army of Bahawalpur are also displayed in this fort.